Friday, September 30, 2011

You Will Be Injured

I have started reading quite a bit about running and runners and all that goes with the sport. I am also in process of training for a 10K that is in about four weeks. This will be my longest distance so far. I'm nervous. But while reading about these amazing, super human ultrarunners, I am becoming more and more inspired with greater goals to reach for. However, one thing that I keep reading and coming across is that all runners get injured. There is no way around it. You will be injured.

Well, this I know already. The first two weeks I started to run at all my knees were a mess. This is what they looked like after my husband taped them with Kinesio tape.

They hurt and ached like I had never felt before. The tape worked along with a regiment of Fish Oil and joint compound vitamins. And so I continued on with my quest to become a runner.

Just yesterday I made it to four miles. I had a break between mile two and three but I still felt good and like I was really getting the hang of this running thing. Then about half way through mile three I felt an uncomfortable pain start in my knee and it just kept getting worse. I stopped a few times to massage my knee. I could feel a big knot in there. I can still feel it. But I managed to make it all the way to mile four. Whew! I know I am never going to get better if I just keep walking during my runs. I take too many breaks in my opinion. So, I pushed on. Then I took an Ibuprofen and stretched and it by mid afternoon it certainly seemed better.

I had an appointment to participate in a focus group that evening at 5:30 and while sitting there I could feel it starting up again. Maybe the Ibuprofen had worn off. I don't know but it was slowly kicking back into Painsville. After focus group I headed straight for a concert. We parked pretty far out so as to miss the traffic after the show. I looked at my husband and said, "let's run there." It was only about a quarter mile but no sooner did we stop for traffic at about 250 meters did I feel that intense pain in my knee. The hill to get down into the Pavilion was excruciatingly painful to maneuver down as my knee just started on fire. To make matters worse, I decided to jump up and down and rock out all night on my bum knee. I had to limp all the way out and back to the truck with a stiffened straight left leg.  I called it my Pimp Gimp Walk.

Today luckily it feels slightly better but not much. I am supposed to be running three miles today with some sprint intervals at the end. I do not see how that is going to happen. But I gotta say that the more I am held back and the less miles I can pack into my week, the worse I feel. I think to myself that I am never going to be a long distance endurance runner at this rate. But I just have to keep on. I know it will come and that injuries come to all. I can't over train or run on injured knees or I will really end up hurting myself and not be able to run at all. And now that it is practically my salvation for sanity I just can't have accept not running as an option.

So here's to the injured runners. May we heal quickly and effectively so that we may run a million miles.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment