Sunday, September 18, 2011

For Love, for Memory, for Myself

Today's the day.

I started running about three months ago. Never have liked running before. Never was any good at it. Never had a reason to do it. Then four months ago today someone I loved dearly passed away very unexpectedly. It tore my heart out. Suddenly, I felt an urge to run. Maybe to run away from the pain. Maybe to run away from everyone around me who didn't understand. It gave me time alone to run towards the glorious sunsets of Albuquerque and just feel like I was with Spirit and at peace, even if only for 3 miles at a time.

And so, today, is my first race. I am doing a 5K race in just about an hour and I'm nervous. My tummy is full of butterflies. I am excited and unsure of the whole thing. I've never participated in anything athletic or competitive like this before. I look forward to getting to the end and seeing my babies and my husband cheering me on. In fact, tears come to my eyes now just thinking about it. My husband has been very supportive and encouraging. In just three months, I've gone from not being able to run for more than a minute to being able to run 3 miles without stopping. I don't know if I'll make it all 3 miles without stopping today but I hope with the love of my family, the memory of a friend, and the beautiful sky above me that I will make it all the way.

"Those who endure conquer."

No comments:

Post a Comment