Saturday, October 1, 2011

Reading Does a Body Good

I've been reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It has been one of those books that I stay up late reading and when I put it down I feel inspired. When I read about these amazing, superhuman-like Ultra Runners I just feel like getting out in the world and doing so much more than I ever thought was possible. Speaking about running specifically for a moment, I just starting running four months ago. I have completed a 5K race in the middle of the pack. I am training now to run a 10K in four weeks. I am not doing so well as I haven't been putting in the miles like I should. But when I read more of this book and learn more about the famous and even not so famous ultra runners out there I am pumped! I imagine what it must look like to watch them run for 50, 100, or 500 miles. I can't fathom what that must be like. I try to read every tidbit of information about form, shoes, style, breathing, diet, everything so that one day I can run those long distances too.

And it's not just about the running. When I hear about people who have the dedication and desire and passion to run across the country or across a desert and put in hundreds of miles a week just running well, I take a look at what I'm doing and think I better kick it into gear! I have never felt so happy to run. I feel better about life when I run. I am not so moody after a run which I am sure my husband and two kids really appreciate because I can be an exhausting roller coaster of emotions. I push myself when I run. I mean, I could push harder but when I'm on the trail or path and it's just me and the sunset and I'm running towards it like if I don't get there then the world might end. It brings me peace. When I feel the air against my face, pushing the hair from my eyes, and feeling the ground beneath me...I feel peaceful. That is until my lungs or shins or calves start burning and then I refocus. But that is good too. I can be very in tune with myself and honestly I don't listen to myself enough so this is a good lesson in that.

I can't wait to keep on with my list of books to keep me learning, inspired, and on the road.

Thank goodness for literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment