Thursday, August 25, 2011

First 5K Race, Here I Come

In just about eight or nine short weeks I have gone from not being able to run for more than two minutes at a time to being able to run my whole 3.1 miles without stopping. I am so amazed and so proud of myself. When I first started running I couldn't even fathom what it would be like to run the whole three mile loop. I was exhausted and huffing and puffing like I was going to pass out after running for like three minutes. My first 5K race is still three weeks away so I have plenty of time to pick up my pace a little before I actually cross the finish line. And I can't wait. I simply can't wait to see my husband and my two boys waiting for me at the end of my first race. I have never competed in anything before. I have never participated in sports in any way. So to set this goal and achieve it is going to be the best feeling in the world.
I haven't even done this race yet and I've set my schedule and training program in place to prepare for a 10K next. I know if I thought it was impossible to do 5K in eight weeks but here I am running 3 miles better and better each time that I can do 6 miles before I know it. I have another 5K race lined up for February and I should be able to do the 10K early spring when it warms up a little. I don't care to run in the cold but luckily we live in NM and it's not often too "cold" comparatively with say, oh Chicago! So here's to reaching goals and setting sights higher and higher. I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment